Skip to main content

Vampires

As a child, I fantasized of being a vampire. What kid didn't at the age of 8. Those horror tropes of having fangs, being able to turn in to a bat, control people, and be immortal. were so cool to younger me. I remember vividly watching Disney's "Little Vampire" and running around my house with a blanket as a cape trying it bite my cousins. My mother never let me scary movies as a child so they seemed like another hero to me till I grew older and saw all the dark and scary movies I was deprived of as a child. Seeing vampires as these blood-sucking animals who only served their own agendas and hunger. I remember all the darker horror tropes vampires had of murdering the weak for blood and sleeping in coffins. As a teen, I watched "Being Human" on TV and liked the concept of Vampires being no different with families and lives. The character struggling to fit into the human world as he fought his urges and tried to find alternatives to killing people and using his powers for good.  In the book "Interview with a vampire", I reflected on my childhood seeing Louis trying to be good as a vampire. While Lestat was definitely the stereotypical evil vampire. It reminded me of "Being Human" when at first when Louis what turned he didn't want to be a vampire but eventually he dealt with is but with his high morals fighting the stereotype.

Comments