Skip to main content

Japanese Horror

Before learning of Japanese horror I was a fan of Japanise art, anime, and culture. Myself having watched countless hours of Japanise anime and documentaries on the culture of Japan as well as other Asian countries. The major tropes that I could decern a difference between Western and Japanese cultures were ghosts and spirits. In western culture, ghosts are unwanted and feared usually seen haunting people or places. Many films have been made as horror is a cheap genre of film to make and ghosts that can't be seen are scary and makes it easy to shoot. The Japanese culture calls them spirits. I've seen a range of spirits. Ones that are worshiped, honored, considered good, and ones that help people. I've also seen them in many forms, not like the stereotypical western way of a white floating figure. I like how in the japanize culture they taking may forms my favorite being animals some wise and respected some tricksters and many in between.

Comments