Skip to main content

Frankenstein

Mary Shelly's Frankenstein considered a "the" book of the genre used and referenced throughout time. An important textual reference which key tropes are used throughout the genre. As a filmmaker, I liked the immersive detailed descriptions Mary Shelley used when speaking of the world she had built through her writing. I see why Frankenstein was written into a screenplay by so many times. Mary Shelley goes into great lengths in her narration, making sure the audience knows what time of day it is as she writes of when the sun sets and the moon appears in the sky. Her description of the tone and environment the characters were in were so specific I could visualize how dark and dreary this world was or how alone or empty a character felt. Mary Shelley placed the audience in her world. The letters Frankenstein wrote really put the audience in his emotional state. I could visualize his pain and sorrow. I found it compelling how in these letters Frankenstein felt like more of a man in pain then a monster. making me sympathize for him heavily. As a child, I always saw him as a brainless monster with only primal urges like an animal. Reading Frankenstein now and seeing him in my head as a being with feelings and emotion. I read this and am reminded of the analogy "don't judge a book by its cover".

Comments